Mental Health & the Holidays
The counselors at JFS have put together a list of tips for maintaining your mental wellness during the holidays.
- Don’t aim for perfect; aim for balance between connecting with others and decreasing isolation, while being able to say “no” to invites which would be overwhelming and/or detrimental for you.
- Avoid feeling overwhelmed by wrapping a few gifts each weekend to prevent a daunting, lengthy time wrapping everything in one day.
- Practice appreciating the family members that have your best interests at heart. Ones that contribute positively to your mental health.
- Step away from the punch bowl. Contrary to popular belief, alcohol doesn’t lift the spirits and can negatively lower inhibitions.
- Stick to a budget. It’s easy to overextend your finances on gifts, food, and travelling, but that could brings feelings of shame and guilt.
- Remember to stay hydrated, eat as well as you can, and stay active. Holidays don’t mean ignoring your physical well being.
Stay tuned to our blog for additional tips to start the new year on the right foot.
Should you or someone you know need to talk, call us at 210-302-6920 and ask for an intake specialist.